It’s been a while since I made kumihimo cord, but I needed something pretty and meaningful for a gift, so I pulled out my disk, and did a six-strand cord with two strands of red and four black.
While making the beard balm and beard oil lately, I figured I’d make up a few tubes of lip balm while I was at it.. (since the bases use many of the same ingredients).
I bought a dozen lip balm containers from a local supplier (I’ve heard they’re seriously overpriced though, so I’m not going to link them here… if I want to do this again and it’s NOT on a whim or tight deadline, I’ll likely order them online or find a more affordable supplier) so I didn’t want to make a LOT… just enough to fill up the containers I had.
While out shopping with a friend, he started checking out some beard balm and beard oil. He didn’t pick any up, but when his birthday rolled around, I bought him something, and wanted to make him some beard oil to gift him as well.
Looking up recipes online had a LOT of suggestions. Some suggested single carrier oils mixed with single essential oils, some had single carrier oils with a blend of essential oils, and others had blended carrier oils with single or blended essential oils.
After making two new purple velvet “lute” shaped purses, I decided to make one with a slightly different shape, and this time in red and gold.
You might remember that my other “lute” shaped purses are very phallic. This is actually a documentable style, as per my previous research post. However, there is also a similar purse that is much more “lute” shaped, and a lot less phallic shaped, so I opted to try that design as well.
About a year and a half ago I made a purse shaped like a “lute” for an A&S competition. When we were trying to think of what kind of largess to make to celebrate Caterina’s elevation to the Order of the Laurel, I offered to make a purse shaped like a lute similar to the one I’d already made. The purse is late period, from a variety of sources in Europe (England, the Netherlands, Italy, and more) so is mostly suitable for her late-period Italian persona.
My original project can be found here.
While my documentation with extant examples can be found here.