Written April 8 – edited and published later.
So, from the Sultan’s Tent post, I figured that one of the things I’d like to make for this event is a headpiece, likely because I was inspired by the headpieces I made for the Winter Wonderland event.
This started out with three different ‘silk’ hydrangea flowers from Michael’s (50% off) in brown, red, and off-white. I also ended up picking up a black one, but didn’t end up using it. Before I started picking them apart, I REALLY like the combination of these colours!
I picked off a few of the flowers, using more brown than red or off-white, because I wanted this to be primarily brown, for that steampunk vibe. I wanted red in it as well though to coordinate better with the costume I will be pulling together. Hmm yeah, the party is tomorrow. I am quickly running out of time to pull things together!
I cut out a base from black felt, and with a hot glue gun, added flower petals. Then I cut out some fantastic glittery ribbon (in black, red, and copper/brown), and used them as ‘streamers’ to dangle down, then some brown satin ribbon as well. I added another felt piece for the back along with two hair clips (one to hold the weight of the piece, and the other to hold it in place).
I glued additional pieces of the glitter ribbon into the piece to cover up blank spots and add some shimmer, and then hand-stitched on some cool twisty chain to dangle from it along with the ribbon streamers.
I had really wanted to add some copper chain like the chain I used in another project – but I didn’t have the time to get to the store where I had bought it, and didn’t see anything I liked at Michael’s – except for this cool twisty beaded chain-type-item, so I bought two pieces, linked them together, and hand-stitched that in. (I thought I might re-use it later, since it was somewhat heavy, and this will very possibly by a one-time-only headpiece).
Forgive the messy hair, this was taken at the end of the night.
I really liked the way that this turned out – with a few caveats.
- I glued one hair clip in, and the other one didn’t get glued in, but rather slid in. This was a happy accident, because it made securing the second clip much, much easier.
- Overall, I worried once I wore it that the brown flowers matched my hair a little too much, and they didn’t stand out. This likely wont be an issue at another time, since it’s unlikely I’ll keep the same hair colour for long!
- The glittery ribbons seemed to catch on everything, including my hair. Although I love the look of them, it’s unlikely I’d use them again for a wearable project.
Full length of the piece and the streamers
Above is a shot of the full headpiece (ignore the red sheer ribbon that it’s hanging from) including the twisty copper “chain”.
Flowers in the piece
Above is a close up of the flowers.